Under construction …
Is Green Lipped Mussel Extract Safe To Use For Everyone?
Because New Zealand green-lipped mussel extract in all it's forms ( oil, powder, tablets and gel) and all it's major brands ( Lyprinol, Moxxor, Seatone and Xtend-Life) is nothing more than a simple natural whole food harvested directly from the oceans surrounding New Zealand and packaged in a convenient form to be used daily. There is nothing synthetic or unnatural added to it in anyway. You should be no more concerned about ingesting this product than you would be about ordering a plate of these mussels in a seafood restaurant.
Having said that – as human beings – we all have certain food intolerances/allergies. If you know from past experience that eating shellfish causes problems for you then, almost certainly, green lipped mussel powder will be unsuitable for you. However, knowing how spectacular the results have been for myself and others in easing the pain of inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, I would not dismiss the product entirely. If you feel you want to try it, take a reduced dose for one week and see what happens but only if you feel confident to do so. Always seek medical advice if you have any health concerns related to the ease of use of supplements. I would not recommend this if you are inclined to asthma attacks.
One of the most common side-effects of anti-inflammatory drug use is gastric disorder ( ie stomach upset and general digestive system disruption). These drugs known as NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) have been proven to double the risk of heart attacks/strokes, and cause death by internal bleeding. With such rare and minimal side effects, green lipped mussel, used as a natural anti-inflammatory alternative, is a lot less harmful. It is particularly suited to treating elderly patients who may have developed a gastric or duodenal ulcer from prolonged use of NSAIDs.
Green lipped mussel side effects or adverse reactions which have been reported in very small numbers include:
* upset stomach
* skin rashes
* flatulence / intestinal gases
* liver problems (extremely rare)
* fluid retention
* hepatitis (only one case ever reported – related to the freeze dried powder only)
* allergic reactions for people with pre-existing shellfish allergies
Take special note:
No drug interactions or reported side effects between New Zealand green lipped mussel extract/powder and pharmaceutical drugs has been identified.
It is advisable not to take green lipped mussel whilst pregnant or lactating. Not enough information is known about the safety of using this supplement and other certain vitamins during breast-feeding. There is some unsubstantiated evidence in a medicine article that it might slow the development of the unborn child and might also delay birth.
Green lipped mussel is a natural whole food supplement with top-rated health benefits that far outweigh the minimal side effects that some users may experience.
What is Green Lipped Mussel Extract?
Green lipped mussel extract is derived from the green lipped mussel – a large shellfish endemic to the shores of New Zealand. It is often described as “nature's own” unique anti-inflammatory. If you suffer from arthritis, joint pain or some other debilitating inflammatory condition you may want to consider trying green lipped mussel extract as a healthy natural alternative treatment to that offered by pharmaceutical drugs?
Before reading further … are you …
Looking for testimonials? Check out my personal experience of using green lipped mussel and the astonishing results I achieved in just 3 months of continuous use. Maybe you're ready to purchase – but not sure what brand is right for you? Read my independent green lipped mussel review!
Green lipped mussel, green mussel, greenshell mussel or greenlip mussel – whatever you choose to call it – do not underestimate the unique and powerful health benefits of this large, yet relatively unknown, bivalve mollusc known by it's scientific name as Perna canaliculus. More and more studies are revealing the proven anti-inflammatory properties of the green-lipped mussel which is endemic to the shores of environmentally green New Zealand. Scientists researching cures for arthritis and other inflammatory conditions have discovered New Zealand green-lipped mussel ( extract contains a unique combination of fatty acids (or polysaccharides) that are not found in any other mussels, or indeed, any other marine or plant life for that matter. Green lipped mussel contains certain polysaccharides known to assist in the repair of damaged or degenerative joint tissues.
What is the history of the Green Lipped Mussel?
The benefits of consuming fresh green lipped mussel have been known for centuries. Green lipped mussel has been part of the regular diet of New Zealand's indigenous people – the Maori – ever since they first settled it shores more than a thousand years ago. To this day the Maori people understand the many health giving properties of green lipped mussel and, under this nation's customary rights, collect and eat it regularly from the sea.
Many current promoters of green lipped mussel extract blatantly claim that Maori people do not suffer from arthritis or joint pain as a result of eating this shellfish in their everyday diet, but I believe that to be an over simplification and misleading information. Maori people today suffer from just as many of the ills of the western world as the general New Zealand population. Having said that – I do still believe that those using green lipped mussel extract to treat arthritis naturally have a real advantage over those who are not (see my personal experience of using green lipped mussel).
The anti-inflammatory properties of green lipped mussels were scientifically identified in New Zealand more than 35 years ago. Cultured or farmed mussels were first produced in the late 1960's with these fresh farmed whole mussels sold in New Zealand supermarkets from 1971. Freeze dried green lipped mussel powder production began in the mid 1970's, creating a natural health supplement that could be used for the relief of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and other inflammatory health conditions.
A booming export market quickly developed in the USA but had collapsed by 1981 due to new US drug legislation. People were getting great results from using the product and the word was spreading. Drug companies were feeling increasingly threatened by it's success and began lobbying US lawmakers in an attempt to discredit green lipped mussel extract. This had the desired effect and the market was more or less destroyed overnight.
Green lipped mussel powder can currently be imported into the USA provided the supplier is FDA registered and no unrealistic claims are made as to it's effectiveness in treating arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. Only it's general anti-inflammatory properties can be promoted when marketing the product to US citizens.
What is the composition of the Green Lipped Mussel?
The basic composition of dried whole green lipped mussel powder can be analysed as follows:
- Protein (as amino acids) 60 – 62 %
- Complex Carbohydrates 12 – 13 %
- Chondroitin Sulfates 11 – 12 %
- Lipids 4 – 5 %
- Minerals 5 – 6 %
(This mineral composition is the same as the ocean's natural mineral balance, and similar to that found in the human body. The mussels obtain their nutrients directly from the phytoplankton and minerals contained in the sea water.)
What are the main health benefits achieved from using Green Lipped Mussel?
The two primary potential health benefits of using New Zealand green lipped mussel extract (or New Zealand green-lipped mussel oil extract) are:
- Relief from joint pain
- Inflammation reduction
It is possible to receive a number of powerful additional (or secondary) benefits – but only provided certain advanced green lipped mussel processing standards are met. These include:
- Improved and healthier skin, hair and nails.
- Improved blood circulation and stronger arterial walls.
- Improved immune system.
- Improved potential for fertility.
- Improved nerve cell functioning.
- Improved nutrition due to the high levels of natural omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, and carbohydrates.
- Stronger teeth and bones – including supporting tissue.
Health conditions which are receptive to green-lipped mussel extract include:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Sports Related Injuries
- Lyme Disease
- Inflammatory Skin Conditions
- Connective Tissue Repair
- Bowel Disease
- Menstrual Pain
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Free Radical Scavenger
- Protects Gastrointestinal System
New Zealand green lipped mussel supplements are also suitable for use with certain animals. There are a growing number of pet products containing green lipped mussel – especially suitable for domestic cats and dogs. Discover the health benefits for pets here.
Does any scientific research exist on Green Lipped Mussel?
There are a number of excellent scientific studies attributed to discovering the benefits of the green-lipped mussel. Here are two sources I discovered recently:
Are there any side effects or adverse reactions when using Green Lipped Mussel?
Green Lipped Mussel is, in essence, a simple whole food in powder or oil form. The only ingredients in this product are the shellfish themselves which have been taken straight from the sea beds in which they have been grown , processed , and then encapsulated. There is nothing in this supplement that isn't completely natural. Just as certain foods don't suit all people – so there will be some people who may have an adverse reaction to green lipped mussel. The numbers would be low and would mostly consist of those who already know that they are allergic to certain shellfish or other marine creatures. Some of the side effects or adverse reactions which have been reported in small numbers are:
- upset stomach
- skin rashes
- flatulence / intestinal gases
- liver problems (extremely rare)
- hepatitis (only one case ever reported – related to the freeze dried powder only)
- allergic reactions for people who know they are allergic to shellfish ( related to the freeze dried powder only)
- fluid retention
I am not aware of any adverse interactions with commonly used pharmaceutical drugs. It is advisable not to take green lipped mussel whilst pregnant or lactating. In summary, green lipped mussel is a natural whole food supplement with health benefits that far out weigh the minimal side effects that some users may experience.
I want to purchase Green Lipped Mussel extract. Which supplier can I trust?
- High Customer Satisfaction/Testimonials – you need to read some of these wonderful genuine testimonials (all copies are on file at head office – they are not fake).
- Genuine Friendly and Personal Customer Service – customer service – the kind of helpful service that has long since disappeared.
- Competitive Low Prices plus an additional loyalty discount for regular customers.
- Free Shipping – free shipping anywhere in the world for orders over $60.
- Fast Delivery From New Zealand – customers regularly remark on how fast their package deliveries are, compared to package mail delivered within the USA. See customer testimonials as proof.
- Highest Quality Ingredients – download your free copy of the Xtend-Life Ltd Green Lipped Mussel Powder Buyers Guide to discover how important this one fact is for getting the best results and why this is the only brand you should consider buying.
- Full Money Back Guarantee – read the detail here.
- Value For Money – lower required daily dose means your purchase lasts much longer than other brands such as Lyprinol or Seatone – read the detail here.
- A Very Educational and Informative Health Blog – this natural health blog is where you can ask the company any questions on any health condition you may have. The quality of the replies will impress you. All questions are answered by the founder and CEO Warren Matthews – who has an extensive and independent view of the health industry as it stands today. If you do nothing else today – join Warren's blog – it's one of the few blogs that I guarantee you'll actually read every week – the quality is so high.